UNC Pharmacy Photo Journey: 1913-1922
Click through this photo journey to explore the School’s early expansion through its 25th anniversary
By Ryan McDaniel | Published September 14, 2022
The 1912-1913 Enrolled Students
Illustration and photo from the 1913 Yackety Yack.
The William Simpson Pharmaceutical Society
In 1913 the William Simpson Pharmaceutical Society was formed, named in honor of the late William Simpson, a "pioneer druggist and teacher and one time president of the American Pharmaceutical Association." The organization sought to stimulate original research work in the School and to present the results of investigations at weekly meetings.
Kappa Psi Chapter Established
Professor John Grover Beard was instrumental in the 1915 installation of Kappa Psi, a medical and pharmaceutical fraternity. The Beta Xi chapter of Kappa Psi at UNC Chapel Hill is still going strong today!
Dean Howell, the Magnanimous Host
Dean Howell was known for enjoying hosting his friends, his students, and members of his 1898 football team. He would host an annual barbecue at his home on East Franklin Street and would often take colleagues and students camping, hunting, and fishing. Here he and several students boil a pot of Brunswick stew while out on a camping trip, c. 1915.
Carolina Journal of Pharmacy Created
In 1915 the William Simpson Pharmaceutical Society expanded upon its mission and created a quarterly magazine, the Carolina Journal of Pharmacy. Professor Beard served as the publication's editor-in-chief. In the first year of publication, the magazine casually announces that Dean Howell has purchased an island off the coast of North Carolina.
Women Enroll at the School of Pharmacy
Even though UNC had been co-ed since 1897, there were no women enrolled in the UNC School of Pharmacy until 1916. Margaret Lynch and Pauline Harriet "Minerva" Bingham (middle row, center), enrolled in 1916 with Ms. Bingham becoming the first woman to graduate from the program in 1918.
Quickly Outgrowing Person Hall
The School moved to Person Hall in 1912, gaining space in comparison to the cramped quarters of New West. However, faculty still had to improvise. Here we see Dean Howell sitting in his "office" - simply a desk and a chair in a corner of the School's library. Photo c. 1917.
World War I Significantly Impacts UNC
In April, 1917 the United States joined World War I. As priorities around the country shifted to support the war effort, UNC was transitioned into a quasi-military base. Added to the regular curriculum was the Students' Army Training Corps (SATC), which regular instruction often had to adjust to work around. In his 1918 report to the University President, Dean Howell wrote, "The attempt in the School of Pharmacy was to give, within a shorter period by means of intensified study, course equivalent to those of ordinary times." Sixty-five pharmacy students served in the War; three lost their lives in the line of duty.
The 1918 Flu Pandemic
In the fall of 1918 the influenza pandemic that had swept the world was firmly entrenched in Chapel Hill. Professor Beard, who was in charge of all pharmacy laboratory courses, was responsible for filling prescriptions for the scores of flu patients at the University as well as performing other emergency duties required by military authorities. Photo courtesy of the National Museum of Health and Medicine, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology Washington, DC.
The 1919-1920 Enrolled Students
Illustration and photo from the 1920 Yackety Yack.
The 1920-1921 Enrolled Students
Illustration and photo from the 1921 Yackety Yack.
UNC Grants its First Honorary Degree
At Commencement in 1922, the School of Pharmacy celebrated its 25 year anniversary. During this momentous occasion the University, for the first time in history, conferred an honorary degree. A Doctor of Pharmacy degree was given to Edward Victor Zoeller, a co-founder of the North Carolina Pharmaceutical Association and prominent figure in pharmacy in the late 19th/early 20th century. Dr. Zoeller was noted as having "given to North Carolina a life of devoted service in forwarding the progress and elevating the standards of his profession."
Phi Delta Chi Chapter Established
In May, 1922 a group of students, with the aide of Professor Beard, petitioned for and were granted a charter membership in Phi Delta Chi. One hundred years later, the chapter is still active!